Monday, July 5, 2010

Maddox Novella

I thought with all the focus on the new addition to our family, I'd take some time to give a Maddox update. He changes so much every day!!

Since Kinley has been born, he has just turned into this super grown-up little boy, and I ask myself frequently, "where did my baby boy go?"

Let's see. I'll start from the top. We just recently shaved his head! It's his new summer do. He is so hot-natured and loves to play outside (sweating like crazy); so I knew he'd enjoy the cool haircut, and it'll be at a nice length by the time the weather gets cool.

He is also talking so big now. He makes sentences and seems to learn many new words every day. He will say things that surprise me all the time! Today, his little cousin fell down, and he came to me very concerned, "Mommy, Brennan fall down!" I said, "Oh no! Is he okay?" He walked over to Brennan and with the same sweet, concerned face, asked "Brennan, you okay?" It was unbelievable. First, the concern for Brennan, but also at how big he was talking!!

How is he adjusting to the new baby sister? I think he is doing very well. He goes between being very sweet (giving lots of kisses and hugs), to very protective (not wanting strangers to hold her), to jealous (wanting to be in Mommy's lap and Kinley out of sight). He is starting to get used to her, I think. He is having more sweet and protective moments than jealous ones. I hope that positive behavior continues!!

Potty training. We are working on it. Maddox tells me he wants to go potty quite often. He normally will only pee in the toilet. He won't poo for some reason. Although AFTER he goes in his diaper, he will tell us he needs to go potty. Little stinker! It's a work in progress.

We are still co-sleeping, which is terrible! We started a very bad habit pretty early, and I'm paying for it now. My goal is to have him sleeping in his own room and own bed by time I go back to work (6-8 more weeks). I'll keep you posted!

Time out. We have instituted "time out" for Maddox. He is at the troublesome two's (I've decided he's not TERRIBLE, he's just a little more challening than normal - so we're calling it the TROUBLESOME twos). Maddox does not like to have to sit still or be alone - So you can imagine how effective sitting alone in time out can be for him! I think it's working nicely. He has had a bad habit for screaming (very loudly) and throwing a big fit when he is told no or doesn't get what he wants immediately. That is now grounds for timeout. He also can be aggressive in those situations (hitting, attempting to bite, pinch, etc.) which is not tolerated and grounds for timeout. Timeout is usually between 1-2 minutes right now (it's upsetting enough for him after 30 seconds). He has to sit in a chair in a secluded area until we get him down. He knows the drill now. I remind him why he is in timeout when I put him in the chair and when he gets down. I think it's going to be effective...although, spankings may still be in order here and there. Spare the rod..spoil the child, right? (My least favorite thing in the whole world!)

Favorites. Playing outside (slides, swings, 4 wheelers, Papaw's pond, etc.), TV (Yo Gabba Gabba, Barney, Wow Wow Wubbzy, Tigger & Pooh), Papaw (breakfast, feeding Abby, feeding the fish in the pond, helping in the yard, working with tools, riding the 4 wheeler or the riding lawn mower, going for a ride in the truck, ice cream at McDonalds, laying in his elbow at sleep times, etc.), singing (Little Bunny Fu Fu, Mr. Nicker Knocker, Itsy Bitsy Spider, etc.), DRUMS, bike, tonka truck, balls (baseball is the favorite, but he likes socker, football, basketball, golf and tennis too). Basically - he's ALL BOY!! He does like books, but he gets distracted easily. We read for about 2 minutes, and he's ready to go throw a ball. Hmm...

Food. Yogurt, fruit, mac-n-cheese, hot dogs, sweet potatoes, apple sauce, pizza, chicken.

He's so much fun. I love watching him grow and learn. We're very anxious to see what's to come!!

No comments: